Monday, March 21, 2011

One of my favorite memories

Its tough to write about a "favorite" memory because there are just too many of them.  I could write extensively about one, finish it, and then later still think of a better one.  I like to look at favorite memories as times when I was purely happy and living in the moment.

I would have to say that my favorite memory in this sense was when I traveled to Belize with UND's Associate Undergraduate Geologists group for spring break in 2008.  It was an amazing trip to say the least, and every day was amazing.  Our first few days we spent at Monkey Bay Wildlife Reserve, and got to see a bit of what they called the Jungle Savannah.  Its intereting terminology, but it just basically means a tropical savannah, with plains mixed with short jungle foliage.  There was also some regular jungle foliage around closer to the river.  We got to take a paddle down this river on the last day at Monkey Bay, and it turned out to be an amazing day trip. 

The next part of our trip was a visit across the border into Guatemala to visit the ruins at Tikal.  This was nearly my favorite part of the trip.  I have never had as much fun exploring a site as I did in Tikal.  It was amazing to be able to get up close and view the ruins.  You just can't appreciate them fully by viewing pictures and watching them on TV. 

For the last three days we had an amazing getaway on the Caribbean coast, on the cayes.  Tobacco Caye, where we stayed, was perfect in size for our group stay.  The water was a pristine azure in color, and turned to violet as you followed it with your eyes to the horizon.  I will never forget this stay and I really have to do it again!

1 comment:

  1. amazing amazingamazingamazingamazingamazingamazing.....

    ...

    ...

    ...amazing. lol XD

    ReplyDelete